Birthdays! The best days of a child's life. How do you celebrate the occasions with inexpensive birthday ideas?
I have 25 inexpensive birthday ideas for kid's that will make their day special and memorable while still making it very easy on your wallet.
1.The birthday child's day begins as soon as they wake up. Sneak into their room the night before and cover the floor with balloons. It is a wonderful sight to wake up to! (Make sure that they are old enough for balloons as they are a choking hazard, be sensible.)
2.Make a confetti trail through the house for them to follow. It is simple to make confetti, just take a sheet of colored paper, fold it in quarters and start punching out confetti with a paper punch. Place a sign on the floor where it starts and lead it to the bathroom and then kitchen
3. On the washroom mirror write in soap on the mirror Happy Birthday! Make sure that the soap is a little bit damp before you start to write and use the corner of it as if it were a giant crayon.
4.Make a streamer doorway that you kids can walk through. Measure the length of the doorway from top to bottom and cut lengths from different colored streamers and just tape to the top of the doorway.
5. Inexpensive birthday ideas include having a Happy Birthday banner. This banner is simple to make up with just a printer and some paper. Free Printable Birthday Banner HERE
6. Decorate their kitchen chair like a throne. You could make a cloth slip cover that is used over and over again or you can just take a bits of colored paper and tape them to the chair with a sign that says - Birthday Chair.
7. Have a birthday crown for them to wear at meals. Easy to make from paper you can decorate it to suit the child.
8. Make them a birthday button that says "Today's my Birthday, I'm 5" and let them wear it out so they can get birthday greets from people who see it.
9. Cover the table with confetti, this looks really impressive if you do it on a white table cloth.
10. Make their breakfast look special. Even if they are having the same breakfast they always do take the time to set it up nicely for them. If you give them fruit for breakfast place it on the plate to look like a goofy face.
11. I don't like to sugar my kids up but it can be a special treat that just on their birthdays the whole family is allowed to drink something special with their meals such as chocolate milk for breakfast or pop at the other meals.
12. Let them choose their own birthday dinner. (With a reasonable veto, no peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner.) Inexpensive birthday ideas for dinner might include letting them eat in front of the TV if that is never allowed.
13. Of all the inexpensive birthday ideas I have this is one that my parents did for me as a child. Start a tradition of always giving a few of the same gifts every year. I always received a chocolate bar and something to read on my birthday and we do the same for our children.
Get them a book from a series and they will be able to read the rest of the series from the library. (Look for these books at garage sales during the summer where you can often buy them for $1 in perfect condition.)
14. Very young children love to see the number of their birthday so randomly around you home set up their birthday number (say 4 for example) and at some point in the day ask them if they can find them all.)
Make up these Printable Number Birthday Cards in bright colors for them to enjoy.
Or make them a Birthday Cake Topper with their age on it.
Other inexpensive birthday ideas might include saving all their birthday cards from year to year and using them as decorations.
15. Even if their grandparents and relative live close by ask them to mail the birthday cards. Children love to see their names and address on a piece of mail especially for them.
16. At every age there is something that they can learn, such as, "When you are 8 we will teach you how to take pictures with our camera." Birthdays are markers of maturity for children and they want added responsibilities.
17. Send them a birthday card from their pet or the pet of a relative. It is always a surprise to receive something from Rover, if it is a cat or dog use a paw stamp to sign it.
18. Have a treasure hunt. I did this for my kids every year and they loved figuring out the clues. If it is just family member participating then have a treat for each one of them at the end and one of your child's gifts.
Let the birthday child either read each clue or lead the pack or both depending on their age. Some inexpensive birthday ideas travel well, such as this one. If you are away from home it will make your child feel like they are part of an adventure during their birthday.
19. Set up their presents like a display. Use a table or area of a room and place them out smallest to tallest.
20. Not every child likes cake. Let them choose their dessert and place it on a cake-stand surrounded by candles so they still get to blow them out.
21. Let the birthday child choose a board game or a game of cards to play after dinner with the entire family.
22. Make up your own lyrics for Happy Birthday. You can try to find rhymes for either their name or their age. You don't have to use the traditional Happy Birthday melody either but a song that they enjoy.
23. The best part of a birthday cake is decorating it (well 2nd best, best part is eating it). Make a cake, put on the icing and have a variety of sprinkles or candies that the birthday child can use to decorate it with.
This cake was topped with foil covered chocolate coins.
24. Give your daughter a rose on her birthday. If she is very young you might have to put it in a plastic vase with only a little bit of water and top it up every day. Every girl would love a rose and it is a great tradition to start when they are young.
25. Measure their height. Kids love to see how much they have grown so if you make this a tradition every year they will be able to compare their growth rate to the year before.
While most of these inexpensive birthday ideas don't cost much money (if any) they will take some time and organizing so make sure that you prepare.
If you have any inexpensive birthday ideas it would be great to share!
I love figuring out perfect inexpensive gift ideas so I can give the ultimate affordable gift that I know people will love.
Do you have a mountain of gifts that you need to buy every year and you don't know what to get anyone?
Here is my suggestions for all sorts of gift giving that look fabulous and are appreicated but don't cost a fortune.
Enjoying this article? Get more great reading monthly. Sign up for the More Style Than Cash Newsletter!