This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link and choose to make a purchase I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. See our disclaimer/disclosure policy for more information.
Cheap Easter Basket Ideas don't have to look cheap. Store bought Easter baskets can get a bit pricey especially if you buy store assembled ones that are stuffed full of licensed television characters that have nothing to do with Easter.
You want something for your kids that's not going to cost an arm and a leg but is still fun for them.
Here are 25 ideas of how to fill an Easter basket with candies and other treats that won't cost you a fortune. (To learn how to make that great bow for your Easter basket go HERE.)
1. An Easter basket really wouldn't be an Easter basket with out a Chocolate Easter Bunny. Grocery stores sell 1 pound bunnies for about $2 to $3 which is a great deal.
I removed ours from the plastic bag it came in and put it in a freezer bag with a twist tie bow on top. The kids can nibble on the bunny and place it back into the bag for the next time they want it.
So what do you put in your carrot? It could be a small bag of sweets like jelly beans that you grabbed from the Bulk Food Store or it could be a chocolate carrot.
3.I love making these little candy bags for gift baskets but at Easter I don't only fill them with candy, cheap Easter basket ideas include keeping the sweet level down a little bit so I will fill them with nuts, trail mix and snacks.
With small snack bags, a little bit of cellophane wrap and a bit of ribbon or curling ribbon you have a great looking little treat. Learn to make them HERE.
4. It's always nice to add a little Easter Chick to the basket that can be kept from year to year to decorate the home for Easter.
These little pompom chicks are easy to make from yellow yarn, a snippet of black yarn and red pipe cleaners.
Learn how to make them HERE. You can find patterns for other pompom animals for cheap Easter basket ideas on pinterest.
If you are planning to give a special piece of jewelry or some other precious gift it is great to put them in these bags so they don't get lost.
I love to put small bags of chips or cheese sticks in them as I find it makes a great break from all the sugar. This is one of my most popular of the cheap Easter basket ideas.
7. It's great to keep the kids occupied with a bit of quiet time at Easter. You could either buy them a book of coloring pages from th dollar store or print some off at home.
Here is a great site for free coloring pages Free Easter Coloring Pages
8. Another great way to keep the kids occupied is with paper maze puzzles.
CrazyDad has literally thousands of maze puzzles free to download Free Maze Pages.
From simple to complicated there are maze puzzles for every age. See what other free ideas you can find for cheap Easter basket ideas.
9. Put together the supplies needed to make a small craft like this Beaded Bubble Wand.
It's fun to make a craft that they can actually use. Make up a bit of bubble liquid for them and have a fun afternoon in the backyard blowing bubbles with their beautiful jeweled bubble wands.
10. Play dough is inexpensive and easy to make and lasts forever.You probably already have the ingredients on hand
Kneed it together until it isn't sticky (you might have to add a bit more flour) and tada... play dough. Store in re-seal-able bags or small air tight containers.
11. Sew up this quick little Bunny with the free pattern HERE.
If your kids have always wanted to learn how to sew you could print out the pattern and wrap it in the fabric you are going to use and put it in their basket as a craft that you can do together.
12. Plastic Easter eggs from the Dollar store can be re-used year to year are great for filling up a basket.
If you have a gift that is too large to fit in the basket then use an egg to hid a clue, you could even make it a treasure hunt with one egg leading to another and the final clue leading to the gift.
Or you could place a joke inside each egg.
13. Seeds grown in peat pellets (pots that expand when water is added to them) are fascinating for children. Give them a packet of seeds and pellets and let them grown flowers or vegetables for the garden.
Small children tend to be enthusiastic about growing plants so make sure they don't over water the seeds!
14. A book is a great addition to a Easter basket, two favorite being The Tale of Peter Rabbit and the Velveteen Rabbit for very young children.
For older children this could be a great time for them to start reading series like Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys or The Box Car Children. No matter what the age of the child there are some great books out there. Thrift stores often have children's books in almost perfect condition for a fraction of the price you would buy new.
15.Hair accessories are always appreciated. For cheap Easter basket ideas look for something that has a spring theme but is not associated too much with Easter.
Theses cute butterfly and bee clips and combs would be great to wear in the spring and summer. The pretty pearl covered barrette would be nice year round.
16. Wild colored shoe laces are fun to dress up a pair of running shoes. They will give a spot of color to their footwear.
17. Start a collection for them that you can add on to every Easter like cute wind up toys.
18. Ball - it could be a rubber ball, a large 4-square ball, a baseball or soccer ball.
For a ball that is too large to put in the basket leave a clue in one of the plastic Easter Eggs of where to go to find it. (See number 10.)
19. Cookie cutters are fun to receive. You can start off with the Easter standards of bunnies and chicks, and add other poultry like ducks and geese.
Again you don't have to stick to Easter themed cookie cutters. A cookie cutter of their favorite sport or hobby would be fun.
20. Art supplies are great for cheap Easter basket ideas- activity books, paper pad for drawing child's safety scissor, crayons, coloring pencils,stamps, sidewalk chalk and lots of other things that they would enjoy having.
If they have a common name look for a name stamp so they can stamp their names onto their things.
21. T-shirt for the warmer weather would be appreciated. Get something in a vibrant color, or get a plain white one and try tie dying it with markers. There are great examples on Pinterest.
22. Deck of cards. It's great to have an old fashioned amusement like cards around.
Find some instructions for a few games including solitary. It's a lot of fun for the family to come together over card games.
23. How about something more scientific like a compass that they can learn to use. They will always know what direction they will be heading in.
24. Paper Airplane. Go on-line and teach yourself how to make a paper airplane. Put a blank piece of paper into their Easter basket and teach the kids how to make them. Sometime the simplest of the cheap Easter basket ideas is the best.
There is nothing more fun for a child to be able to take a piece of paper and make it fly. Teach them to make paper airplanes and they will be showing off their new skill to all of their friends.
25. Finally put in a toothbrush and tooth paste. Toothbrushes should be replaced every 3 months but we tend to forget.
You can always tell the kids it wasn't from you but from the tooth fairy, her and the Easter bunny are in cahoots.
You don't have to spend a lot of money for you children to have fun and exciting Easter baskets. Cheap Easter basket ideas include re-using the basket, shred and eggs will keep the costs down. If you keep your eyes open for all the little extras through out the year you'll be able to give them great baskets that they will always remember.
Enjoying this article? Get more great reading. Sign up for the More Style Than Cash Newsletter!