Spring is here and we should all be looking fabulous but (sigh) sometimes it is a little hard to get out of the winter doldrums.
If you still have a bit of the winter drabs you need to spruce yourself up for the summer. This doesn't mean expensive spa treatments and hours of working out. You can just do a few little tricks to give yourself a bit more shine.
You probably have already packed away your heavy winter clothes so now is the time to get ready for the fabulous warm weather that is just ahead.
1. Hair - Your hair is probably a bit dry and dull from all the indoor heat that it has had to deal with. Try giving it a deep moisturizing to get the gloss back. This is a great time to re-evaluate your hair cut. You don't have do do anything drastic but make sure that you aren't getting the same old, same old hair cut every time (it will age you). Talk to your hair dresser about doing subtle chances like layering, wispy bangs or a few high-lites to give yourself a fresher look.
Photography and Content
Copyright Ingrid Talpak 2012
2. Skin - Another part of your body that probably needs a little bit of help after the long winter. The easiest thing to do is have a lovely long bath with some moisturizing oils (almond oil is natural and inexpensive and is a wonderful alternative to over-scented products). Use a gently wash cloth and buff your skin all over. When you are done your bath moisturize with your favorite product and keep moisturizing daily. This will make your skin glow.
3. Teeth - How is your smile? It is the first thing that most people are attracted to. While I am not a fan of super white teeth and teeth bleaching I do like the whitening toothpastes that are available. Make sure that you follow the instructions as most of them are not made to be used on a daily basis.
4. Waxing - You need to make sure that you are totally polished before you step outside and this means that you have waxed where ever it is needed. Legs, underarms, bikini line and face should be done from here on in on a regular schedule so you are ready for skirts, sleeveless tops and bathing suits.
5. Manicures and Pedicures - The gloves are off and the sandals are almost ready to be put on. You don't need to apply nail polish if that's not your style but your fingers and your toes should look neat, clean and attractive. Get in the habit of filing your nails every night before you go to bed and moisturizing your hands and feet at the same time. A weekly at home pedicure is a wonderful way to unwind and will keep your feet looking perfect.
6. Jewelry - You might only wear a few pieces of jewelry all the time. Make sure that they are in perfect repair and are clean. There is nothing sadder than a beautiful but dirty engagement ring and wedding band. You can buy good quality jewelry cleaner from most department store and jewelers. Make sure that you follow the instructions.
If your favorite costume jewelry is looking shabby then now is the time to say good bye to it. There are lots of great inexpensive pieces that you can buy that will give you a boost for just a few dollars. Try something brighter and lighter for the summer.
7. Clothes - If your on a tight budget then check over you closet and see what you can re-purpose for the summer. White clothes always look good in the warm weather and if yours are looking a bit dingy see if you can bleach them to get the white back. You can only bleach cotton clothes so check the fiber content.
You might only need one or two new pieces to freshen up what you have. Some bright colored tank tops or perhaps a vivid colored light sweater to wear at the office. As with your jewelry make sure that everything that you have is in good repair and ready to wear.
While you are looking over your clothes don't forget about your bras and underwear. With lighter colored tighter summer clothes you don't want your underwear letting you down. If you are wearing a lot of white then make sure that you have a skin toned bra that is in excellent condition.
8. On Your Feet - If you have a casual life style then wearing flip flops is a great, and inexpensive, way to add color to your wardrobe as they come in a dozen different colors and are easy to find. If you need something a bit more formal then start looking now. While I am a great believer in buying on sale a good pair of leather sandals can be hard to find at a bargain price. Buy what you can afford and keep them in good repair so you can use them for many summers.
9. Sunglasses - With a great pair of sunglasses you can look chic anywhere. Keep your eyes peeled for bargains at drug stores and department stores. While they use to only stock cheap sunglasses in many places the quality has really improved and you will find great styles at a fraction of designer prices. Make sure they are UV protected.
10. Exercise - With the weather getting nicer it is a perfect time to get out there and move. Don't think of it as a chore. Get out your bike, go walking with a friend or take up tennis again. It will be glorious to be outside again.
There you have it. Ten easy and inexpensive ways to make yourself shine this summer!
In a rush but want to explore More Style Than Cash further when you have time? Add me to your Favorites or follow me on Twitter.
For more Articles chose from Crafts, Decorating, Food and Entertaining, Fashion, Gift Giving, Stationery and Cards, Health and Beauty, Kids, or Money Matters.
Photography and Content
Copyright Ingrid Talpak 2012